In one way or another, everyone in Alabama is guilty of doing something that’s weird. And just because we believe things we do are normal, many outsiders believe them to be weird. Listed below are 10 weird things Alabamians are guilty of doing.
1. Schedule important events around college football.
When setting the date for your wedding, birthday party, family reunion, etc., you better not schedule it during college football season. If you do, you might as well expect half of the guests to not attend. College football is taken very seriously here in Alabama.
2. Use the AC and heat in the same day.
Alabama weather is so unpredictable! One day it may be 50 degrees and the next day, 75 degrees. You just never know!
3. Eat cornbread in plain milk or buttermilk.
This is a classic Southern staple that many people who live in other parts of the country think is weird.
4. Go outside during stormy weather to look for a funnel cloud.
Admit it! You've been guilty of doing this, haven't you?
5. Eat boiled peanuts.
I was once afraid to try boiled peanuts, but now I absolutely LOVE them!
6. Give driving directions based on a location's proximity to a major city.
Time increments are given instead of actual mileage.
7. Drink sweet tea year-round.
Even during Alabama's cold winter months, it's not uncommon to find a pitcher of sweet tea in the fridge.
8. Smother everything in ranch dressing.
9. Put peanuts in Coke.
Surprisingly, this concoction is really, REALLY GOOD!!! I suggest trying it.
10. Laugh about being from Alabama...
...even though deep down you know it's the BEST (and only) place to call home!
Are you guilty of doing any of these weird things? What are some other weird things people from Alabama do? Let us know in the comments below!