Those who live out of state, especially up North, believe they have us Alabamians all figured out. But do they really? Most of them assume all Alabamians are alike. However, nothing could be further from the truth. As a matter of fact, some of the things Alabamians do are so out of the norm that you’ll probably never hear them admit out loud to doing them. Let’s take a look at 10 examples below.
1. "Alabama's summer humidity is OK once you get used to it."
Alabama's summer humidity is awful, awful, AWFUL. We'll probably never get used to it. The moment summer arrives, the countdown to fall begins.
2. "Some of us would much rather have a glass of unsweetened tea vs sweet tea."
No thank you! Sweet tea all the way!
3. "We're not all obsessed with college football."
Pretty shocking, huh? You'd think otherwise considering Alabama is home to the #1 college football team in the nation (many times over).
4. "We haven't all been to the beach."
We're lucky to have some of the finest beaches right here in Alabama. The best part is, no matter where we live in the state, we can get to the Gulf Coast in just a few hours. It's shocking when someone admits they've never been to the beach.
5. "Not all of us 'turn it up' the moment Lynyrd Skynrd's song 'Sweet Home Alabama' starts to play."
This song, in my opinion, has really run its course. However, it's one of those songs that when it starts to play, you can't help but to 'turn it up.'
6. "We're well aware of our accent."
Until someone points out our accent, we're pretty much oblivious to it. Even then, we don't believe our accent is as strong as we're told it is.
7. "Not all of us are outdoorsy."
Hiking, fishing, hunting and camping are popular outdoor activities here in Alabama. Not all of us enjoy doing outdoorsy stuff, and this surprises a lot of people.
8. "When it comes to eating, many of us can live without fried foods."
Sure we can, but do we really want to? I think not!
9. "And some of us are vegetarians."
Yes, this is true. However, the majority of Alabamians love their meats. Deer jerky, anyone?
10. "We're not the greatest when it comes to driving in the snow."
Even though we love to think we are.
What are some other things you’ll probably never hear an Alabamian admit out loud?