Alabama is, and always has been, misunderstood. Many people believe they know everything there is to know about Alabamians, but of course they don’t. We recently entered a new year, so there’s no better time than right now to prove to the rest of the country what a great state Alabama is.
Listed below are 12 things every Alabamian wants the rest of the country to know.
1. We're not a bunch of uneducated rednecks.
Alabama is home to NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, top medical facilities and a variety of cultural centers. It's very disappointing to instantly assume that Alabamians are uneducated rednecks. Some of the smartest people in the world live here.
2. Here in Alabama, college football isn't just a sport. It's a way of life.
Don't forget to tune in tonight at 7:00 PM (ESPN) to watch our very own Crimson Tide play the Clemson Tigers in the College Football Playoff National Championship.
3. Alabama's weather is very unpredictable.
One day you may need snow boots, whereas the next day you can get away with wearing flip flops. Mother Nature can be so indecisive at times.
4. "Sweet Home Alabama" is NOT Alabama's official state song.
Sure, the phrase "Sweet Home Alabama" is on our license plates and welcome signs, but it's not our official state song.
5. Not all Alabamians live in the country.
And not all Alabamians live in the city. Alabama has a great balance of country and city living.
6. Our Gulf Coast beaches are some of the finest in the world.
Alabama's beautiful Gulf Coast is the perfect summer vacation spot for the entire family.
7. Alabama's delicious barbecue can't be beat!
From pulled pork and barbecue chicken, to pork ribs and smoked brisket, Alabama serves the best barbecue around. Hands down!
8. Birmingham is NOT the capital of Alabama.
Most non-Alabamians think Birmingham is the state capitol. Sure, it may be Alabama's most-populated city, but it's not the state capital. Montgomery is.
9. Alabama experiences all four seasons.
Even though we deal with mosquitoes in the fall, frigid temps in the winter, pollen in the spring and high humidy in the summer, we're still lucky to experience all four seasons.
10. In Alabama, every drink is a "Coke."
Not a "soft drink" or "pop," but simply a "Coke."
11. Hollywood usually portrays Alabama wrong.
Many times, Hollywood writers/directors paint Alabama in a negative light. Alabama isn't such a terrible place to live or visit, but thanks to what's shown on television and the big screen, it's perceived that way.
12. Alabama truly is the most beautiful state in the country.
Then again, was there any doubt?