Have you ever watched a movie and thought to yourself, “That place looks so familiar?” I find myself doing it all the time. There have been several movies filmed in Alabama, and here are 11 filming locations you’ll probably recognize:
1. Shorter Mansion - Sweet Home Alabama (2002)
"Sweet Home Alabama" was partially filmed in Eufaula. When Melanie (Reese Witherspoon) returns home to Alabama, she drives past several historic homes, including Shorter Mansion (pictured).
2. Talladega Superspeedway - Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006)
Several scenes in this blockbuster hit were filmed at the famous Talladega Superspeedway.
3. Opelika Manufacturing - Norma Rae (1979)
Many scenes in "Norma Rae" were filmed at Opelika Manufacturing, a textile mill.
4. Fame Recording Studios - Muscle Shoals (2013)
"Muscle Shoals" is a documentary about FAME Recording Studios and Muscle Shoals Sound Studio. Fame Recording Studios is featured throughout the entire documentary.
5. Edmund Pettus Bridge - Selma (2014)
The Edmund Pettus Bridge was the site of Bloody Sunday on March 7, 1965, and it was also featured in the award-winning film "Selma."
6. Legion Field - Woodlawn (2015)
"Woodlawn," which tells the inspirational true story of football star Tony Nathan, was filmed at several places in Birmingham, including Legion Field (pictured).
7. Cathedral Caverns - Tom and Huck (1995)
Disney's "Tom and Huck" was filmed primarily in Mooresville, but the cave scenes were filmed inside Cathedral Caverns in Marshall County.
8. USS Alabama - Under Seige (1992)
The majority of the film "Under Seige" takes place aboard the USS Alabama, which is located at USS Alabama Memorial Park in Mobile.
9. Rickwood Field - 42 (2013)
The film "42" is about Jackie Robinson and his expereince with breaking the color barrier in baseball. Birmingham's Rickwood Field, America's oldest baseball park, was used for several scenes in this film.
10. Cherokee Rock Village - Failure to Launch (2006)
The rock climbing scenes in "Failure to Launch" were filmed at Cherokee Rock Village in the Leesburg area.
11. U.S. Space & Rocket Center - Space Camp (1986)
"Space Camp" was partially filmed on location at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville.
This is a short list of the many places in Alabama that have been used as filming locations. If you can think of any other filming locations in Alabama, please share them with us below!