Alabama February 03, 2016
25 Things You Can Only Brag About If You’re From Alabama
Alabamians aren’t really known to brag, but sometimes we have to share how this great state has affected the rest of the country—and even the world. From well-known residents to historical accomplishments, here are 25 things you can only brag about if you’re from Alabama:
1. Alabama is home to the best college football team in the nation. ROLL TIDE!
2. Our white-sand beaches are some of the finest in the country.
3. Alabama is responsible for building the first rocket (Saturn V) that put humans on the moon.
4. In 1703, Alabama introduced Mardi Gras to the Western World in Mobile - 15 years before it was celebrated in Louisiana.
5. Alabama is the ONLY state with all major natural resources needed to produce both iron and steel.
6. Some of the greatest baseball players, including Hank Aaron and...
Willie Mays, are from Alabama.
7. The Alabama Department of Archives is the oldest state funded archival agency in the nation.
8. Magnolia Springs is the only city in the U.S. with an all-water mail route.
9. Harper Lee, Pulitzer Prize-winning author, was born in Monroeville, Alabama.
10. The first ever 911 call in the U.S. was made in Haleyville, Alabama on February 16, 1968.
11. In 1886, the world's first electric trolley system was introduced in Montgomery, Alabama.
12. Channing Tatum hails from Cullman, Alabama.
13. Alabama is home to the world's only lost luggage store.
14. The only coon dog cemetery in the world is here in Alabama.
15. Birmingham, Alabama is home to Golden Flake - maker of the BEST potato chips EVER!
16. In 1836, Alabama became the first state in the U.S. to declare Christmas a legal holiday.
17. Several historical figures were born in Alabama, including Helen Keller (Tuscumbia) and...
Rosa Parks (Tuskegee).
18. Many inventions have come out of Alabama, including the Air Bag...
19. Windshield Wipers...
20. Portable Hearing Aids...
22. Super Soaker...
24. Van de Graaff Generator...
25. ...and Hydrocopters.
What are some other things that give Alabama bragging rights? Let’s add to the list!