Alabama May 31, 2015
16 Reasons Why All Alabamians Should Be Proud Of Their State
Even though many of us complain about living in Alabama, deep down we’re proud of where we come from. And we should be! There are several reasons why Alabama makes us proud, and I’ve listed 16 of them below.
1) Everyone applauds our great Southern hospitality! We thank people for visiting and always invite them to come back.
2) Alabama is home to many prestigious colleges and universities.
3) Our award-winning hospitals are some of the best in the nation!
4) We're proud of our contributions to the U.S. Space Program. After all, we did build the first rocket that made it possible for astronauts to land on the moon.
5) The song that makes us the most proud of living in Alabama is the one we all know by heart, and we get excited as soon as we hear those three magic words - TURN IT UP!
6) Alabama provides the perfect balance of city living...
and country living.
7) On February 16, 1968, the first-ever 911 call was made in Haleyville.
8) We're super proud of our two national football championship teams - the Alabama Crimson Tide and the Auburn Tigers.
9) In 1995, our very own Heather Whitestone was chosen as the first Miss America with a disability - proof that any dream can come true!
10) We're proud of our beautiful lakes...
and gorgeous white-sand beaches that stretch along the coastline.
11) In 1836, Alabama was the first state in the U.S. to declare Christmas a legal holiday. Because of Alabama, federal workers were able to enjoy Christmas Day with their families, while still getting paid.
12) In the early 1700s, Alabama introduced us to Mardi Gras in Mobile - where it all began!
13) Alabama is home to Harper Lee - the Pulitzer Prize winning author of To Kill a Mocking Bird.
14) Many important inventions came straight out of Alabama, such as the airbag, windshield wipers and portable hearing aids. As a society, I have no idea where we would be without these inventions!
15) Alabama is the birthplace of many important historical figures such as Helen Keller...
and Rosa Parks.
16) As you arrive home from your fun-filled family vacation, you realize there truly is no place like home!
So, as you can see, there are many reasons why Alabama makes us proud – and this is just a short list! What is it about Alabama that makes you the most proud? Tell us in the comments below!